Sunday, January 20, 2013

My "cheap" wheelbarrow...

So here is a before picture of my $5 craigslist wheelbarrow

 Several weeks later (thanks to an adorable son and bitter cold weather) my "Hunter Green" wheelbarrow!!
     

I am very happy with the finished product. But there are many lessons I learned.

1st. If you are going to buy a fixer upper, make sure you will not spend more fixing the "cheap" one up then buying a BRAND NEW ONE! Between two cans of spray paint, one spray can of finisher, linseed oil, sandpaper, and bolts/screws it was VERY difficult not to go over the price of a nice new one. One of the largest expenses was the new bolts and screws. I ended up being able to save half of the old ones but I spend so much time sanding, soaking in rust remover, sanding again and spraying with anti rust. This was hardly a deal.

2nd. relates to first, if you buy a rust bucket "for now" DO NOT fix it up. Uses "as is" until it falls apart or until you can find a nicer "fixer upper".

3rd. Don't start a project that you cannot finish "quickly". You will lose momentum!!! This should have been a two maybe three day project but with it taking a couple of weeks I was rather resentful, which is not a good place to be. so before starting a project make sure you can finish it up in a timely many with enthusiasm intact!

While in the mist of this project I went to a yard sale and bought some uses (but good condition) yard tools for 25 cents a piece!!! I felt like I was getting away with highway robbery. I am in the process of sanding down the metal parts and using the same "hunter green" spray paint for the metal and sanding down and oiling the wood. (they had painted the purrty wood) 

No comments: